Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mayonnaise: A Love Affair

I once heard someone refer to mayonnaise as "the white death".  As a kid I never understood what mayonnaise was, except that it was bad-- fattening, and bad for your cholesterol.  At picnics or delis I would wrestle with whether or not to add mayo, and would sometimes sneak a little gold packet of the white death before anyone saw.  I was never sure who would judge me and think I was gross for going for the white stuff.

Now as an adult who strives to eat a paleo diet, I realized mayonnaise is just eggs and oil. And easy to make! This realization has allowed me to burst forth from my mayonnaise-loving closet. 

I use the recipe found in The Paleo Diet  by Loren Cordain. Chicken salad, tuna salad, and cole slaw are on the menu each week at our house, and with summer in full swing, these salads are timely, delicious, and add a wonderful new dimension to paleo eating. If you happen to own the the magic bullet,  making this is truly a breeze because you can process and store your mayo in the same container.  And you thought the bullet was just for daiquiris...

Now that all the mystery and scandal around mayo has dissipated, I'm even more enticed.  I plan to commit to this homely condiment for a lifetime. 

And now for some mayonnaise-inspired art by Marc Johns.


 
Paleo Mayonnaise
  • 1 cage free egg
  • 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • ¼ tsp. dry mustard
  • a little less that ½ cup of olive oil
  • ½ cup flaxseed oil  **to balance out the omega 3s and 6s. Clever, right?

 Directions:
1. Put egg, lemon juice, and mustard in your food processor/magic bullet, and turn it on for about 5 seconds.
 2. Slowly add oil mixture.
 3. Keep adding till the oil is all in and you notice the consistency of the mayonnaise is becoming thick.
 4. Place ingredients in a Tupperware and refrigerate it. It should stay fresh for about a week or so.

2 comments:

  1. Do you recommend a substitute oil type if flaxseed oil isn't available? I could suck back a shot of fish oil afterward to help balance out the omegas. I agree, Tuna Salad needs mayo! I like to add in some dried oregano as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try canola oil if you don't have flax, or just use all olive oil. You may notice a different flavor, which may or may not bother you. Canola, olive, and flax are the oils recommended by Dr. Cordain. And yes, depending on what you're eating, diet can help balance out fatty acids.

    Dried oregano sounds delicious! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete