Wednesday, September 1, 2010

On the Grid: Recovery and Self Massage

First of all, get your mind out of the gutter.  This post is all about rubbing and ends with a naked blue man, so get over it.

Did anyone do the workout on the main site from August 22nd?  In case you haven't been scarred into remembering, it was:  400 meters walking lunge.  Yikes.  I did this in the back yard and it took me 9:28.  I'm actually not ashamed of my time, but boy am I paying for it.

This post is for those of you who've been so sore it's interfered with your workouts. I've written before about the importance of recovery, which I've paid more attention to since starting CrossFit.  I feel I should make a distinction between sore, and CrossFit sore. 

CrossFit sore is different in that the sensation is stiffer, and muscles are so tender they can barely stand any pressure.  It comes down to just plain painful.  This may be because muscles can develop trigger points, which are basically super sensitive spots in the muscles that, when pressed, can radiate pain locally.

I've always believed in massage.  I don't feel the need to get into the facts behind it, because apparently there's all kinds of conflicting research out there about whether or not it actually helps. I believe it does, and that's enough for me.  Being a real person with a busy schedule and a balanced budget, I can't afford to go get rubbed down every week. Sigh.


Fortunately, this lucky CrossFit girl received the Grid for her birthday this year.  It's basically an improved and updated version of a foam roller, a simple tool used to promote self massage, stretching, and myofacial release.  Basically you roll around on one of these and reap all kinds of benefits.  The Grid is different from the usual foam rollers in two ways:  the design is much more durable, and the grid-like pattern provides variation in pressure, that is, it's actually meant to mimic the feel of the fingertips, thumb, and forearm.  If you have developed trigger points the roller can be a little painful at first, but you will immediately feel the muscles relax, circulation increase, and the pain will subside.



I can't vouch for any other kind of roller because I've never used them.  What I do like about the Grid is that it provides almost instant relief, which is important when you're debilitatingly sore. It's also a product that is made to last, and I can't get enough of that.  Like CrossFit and all things fitness, this is not an easy solution. It requires a little bit of discipline in order to see true benefits.  Learning how to use this and rolling often is the best way to get relief.

I wanted to direct your attention to Trigger Point Therapy Australia; their website has an uber helpful "Body Biomechanics" tool that provides a wealth of information about soreness.  Just click where it hurts on the little naked blue man and you can access info about what's causing pain, and how to use self massage for relief.

Trigger Point Therapy sells a variety of products if you want to intensify your self massage regime.  Either way, take care of yourself when CrossFitting.  A disciplined fitness program requires disciplined recovery. Roll on!

3 comments:

  1. Funny timing on this post; right now my back is as Crossfit sore as it's ever been. It's debilitating. Forget working out, I can barely walk and sleeping requires prescription strength pain meds. I might have to invest in the grid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds pretty bad! i would highly recommend the grid, as well as an ice pack and strong beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, beer...the best kind of recovery drink out there! I also like to use a lacrosse or tennis ball to hit those trigger points on your back as well.

    ReplyDelete